Interest kale lovers! I have a pizza for you. Everyone else, please shield your eyes and forgive me for the really green pizza on your screen. I’ve had this thought for a even though now—kale pesto pizza with golden mozzarella and crispy kale on top—and it is lastly actuality. A extremely tasty reality, of which I am hunting forward to consuming yet again for lunch.
As any very good vegetarian blogger should be, I am obsessed with pesto, and basil is awfully pricey this time of 12 months. I say “this time of year” like it’s nothing, but it’s snowy, icy, under freezing and gray outside, and I’m presently questioning what I’m performing with my lifestyle/daydreaming about seashore vacations.
As I was saying, kale pesto is a wonderful, inexpensive selection this time of year. I created mine with pecans and I love the subtle, sweet pecan taste in every bite. You could also use walnuts in your pesto, or pepitas for a nut-totally free choice. This vegan pesto would be amazing on pasta if you need to have to warm up with a bowl of sizzling, steaming pasta. It’s cold outside!
Kale Pesto Pizza
- Author: Cookie and Kate
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 1 big or 2 smaller sized pizzas 1 x
- Group: Entree
- Cuisine: Italian
five from 56 evaluations
This kale pesto pizza recipe is a ideal weeknight meal! Kale lovers will value the crispy kale on best, also. You can modify up the toppings if you’d choose, even though! Recipe yields 1 huge, twelve-inch pizza or two smaller, 9-inch pizzas.
- one batch effortless total wheat pizza dough or 1 pound retailer-bought pizza dough (I utilised Trader Joe’s)
- 2 cup s ( 8 ounce s) grated minimal-moisture portion-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup lightly packed kale, chopped into tiny, bite-sized pieces
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Optional garnishes: red pepper flakes
- 3 cup s packed kale, preferably the Tuscan/lacinato assortment, thick ribs removed and roughly chopped (about one little bunch)
- cup pecans or walnuts
- 2 tablespoon s lemon juice (about one tiny lemon)
- two to 3 cloves garlic, dependent on their dimension
- teaspoon fine-grain sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- cup olive oil
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees Fahrenheit with a rack in the upper third of the oven. If you’re employing a baking stone or baking steel, area it in the oven on the top rack. If you’re making use of my dough recipe, put together dough through stage 4. If you’re using retailer-purchased dough, verify the directions of the package deal. It may well need to have to rest at space temperature whilst you work on the pesto.
- Make the pesto: In a meals processor, include the kale, pecans, lemon juice, garlic, salt and many twists of freshly ground black pepper. Turn on the food processor and drizzle in the oil. Process until finally the pesto reaches your sought after consistency, stopping to scrape down the sides as essential. Taste and add much more lemon juice, salt or pepper if required.
- Prepare the pizza dough as directed. If you’re utilizing my pizza dough recipe, I’d make two pizzas. If you’re making use of retailer-bought dough like me, I’d roll it out into one particular huge pizza. I like to roll out the dough on pieces of parchment paper for effortless transfer to the oven. For very best outcomes, roll the dough out as thin as reasonably attainable whilst keeping an even surface level.
- Prime pizza(s) with an even layer of pesto (you may possibly end up with further pesto, which would be great on pasta or as a sandwich spread, and so forth.). Sprinkle cheese above the best. Lastly, in a little bowl, toss one cup chopped kale with one teaspoon olive oil and a sprinkle of salt. Rub the oil into the kale so it’s covered with a light, even layer. Distribute the kale evenly above the prime of the pizza.
- Transfer 1 pizza to the oven, either on a baking sheet or onto your preheated baking stone. Bake until finally the crust is golden and the cheese on top is bubbly (about ten to twelve minutes on a baking sheet, or as handful of as 5 minutes on a baking stone). Repeat with remaining pizza, if necessary. If sought after, prime pizza with a light sprinkle of red pepper flakes. Slice and serve.